Chicken, cheese, pasta…Please! This is some real comfort food right here. Super filling and it only takes about an hour. A perfect week night meal with the possibility of some leftovers for lunch… Yes please!
- 1 lb. chicken thighs, boneless & skinless, cut into 3/4" pieces
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 8 oz. penne pasta
- 1/2 lb. bacon, thick-cut, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 6 oz. smoked gouda cheese, grated
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Cook pasta according to package directions minus 1 minute. Drain. Set aside.
- Fry bacon until crisp, set aside on a paper towel-lined plate, to remove excess grease.
- Saute onion over medium to high heat for two minutes or until softened.
- Season chicken evenly with garlic salt & pepper.
- Add chicken and continue cooking, about 5-7 minutes, or until cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Remove from heat, add 1/2 the bacon and combine. Set aside to cool.
- Add the BBQ sauce to the chicken mixture along with pasta, green onions, cilantro and 3/4 of the grated cheese.
- Transfer to a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole dish or cast iron skillet. Top with remaining cheese and bacon.
- Turn the oven to broil and cook uncovered for 2-4 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Serve warm. Enjoy!