Welcome to the dark side of the spoon! Awaken your senses with this delicious egg dish. Try it out at your next breakfast or brunch. Or heck! Try it for dinner! Simple. Exquisite. A true indulgence.
- 5 eggs
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 large sprig of basil
- 2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 5 slices bread, toasted
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley for garnish
- 2 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, 1 tsp. black pepper, oregano, thyme and half of the salt and stir thoroughly to make your blackened seasoning.
- In a large skillet with a lid, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, 2-3 tbsp. of your blackened seasoning and heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, salt, pepper and basil sprig. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Continue to simmer and stir the tomato pieces until they break down. The sauce will continue to thicken over 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in the parmesan cheese and the butter.
- Make 5 dimples in the tomato mixture and then crack an egg into each dimple.
- Sprinkle the top with a 1 tbsp. of the blackened seasoning and cover the pan with the lid. Cook with the pan closed for an additional 2-6 minutes, depending on how you like your eggs cooked.
- Remove from the stove and serve a scoop of the egg and tomato mixture on a piece of toast. Garnish with a sprinkle of parsley. Enjoy!