Quick and easy, comfort food at it’s finest. Our classic Mexican-inspired Chicken Tortilla Soup is hands down, one of our favorite soups. You can make this soup in under 30 minutes with store-bought rotisserie chicken, fire-roasted corn, fire-roasted tomatoes, beans, and other flavorful ingredients. Top with fresh cilantro, avocado, cheese, homemade crispy tortilla strips, sour cream, and lime…You’re in the comfort zone in no time!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1 large jalapeno, diced small
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 32oz. low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 14.5oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 14.75oz. can fire-roasted corn
- 1 pack of Kinder's The Taco Seasoning Blend (1oz.) or 6 tbsp of homemade taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- limes, sliced
- sour cream, optional for serving
- 6 small corn tortillas, cut into 1/4 inch wide strips
- vegetable oil, for frying
For the tortilla strips:
- In a medium heavy skillet, pour enough oil to reach a depth of 1/2 inch.
- Heat over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add tortilla strips in batches and fry until crisp and golden in color, about 2 minutes.
- Remove and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
For the soup:
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, jalapeno, and saute for about 5 minutes until vegetables begin to soften. Stir frequently.
- Add garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes with juice, beans, corn, chicken, and Kinder's The Taco Seasoning Blend.
- Bring to a light boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately with your choice of toppings. Enjoy!