How do you take a basic chopped salad and make it a hearty meal? You add some perfectly cooked tri-tip!
- 1-2 lbs. tri-tip roast
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. black pepper & 1/2 tsp. black pepper, divided
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce, washed and sliced
- 1/2 cup canned white corn, drained
- 1 cup mini peppers, de-seeded and sliced
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 oz. blue cheese crumbles
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place tri-tip on a baking sheet and sprinkle garlic salt and pepper on all sides of the roast. Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Take meat out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before grilling.
- Preheat outdoor gas grill to high heat (450°F). If using a charcoal grill, arrange coals to one side of the grill to create direct (high heat) and indirect (low) heating areas.
- Place tri-tip directly above the flame and grill for 5-7 minutes on the first side, then flip and grill for an additional 8 minutes to sear the meat and lock in juices.
- Remove from direct heat and place meat on indirect heat and continue cooking until internal temperature reaches 130-135°F (Medium Rare). Remove from the grill and let rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing thinly against the grain.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, balsamic vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper and garlic.
- Add the oil slowly and continue to whisk until mixed thoroughly.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the lettuce, corn, peppers, red onion and blue cheese. Scoop the lettuce mixture into a serving dish and place a generous portion of tri-tip on top of the lettuce mixture.
- Drizzle with the balsamic vinaigrette and Enjoy!