One of my kids favorite things to do this time of year is make hot chocolate with marshmallows and drive around to look at Christmas lights! This is one of my favorite recipes with our homemade peppermint marshmallows!
- ¾ cup water, divided
- 3 (.25 ounce) packages unflavored gelatin
- ⅔ cup light corn syrup
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 cups milk (preferably whole or 2%)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Line a 9x9 inch baking dish with parchment paper
- Place 1/2 cup of water in the bowl of an electric mixer, and sprinkle gelatin on top of water to soak.
- While gelatin is soaking, combine 1/4 cup of water, corn syrup, and sugar in a saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil the mixture hard for 1 minute.
- Pour the hot sugar mixture into the gelatin mixture and beat on high for 12 minutes with electric mixer, until the mixture is fluffy and forms stiff peaks. Add vanilla and peppermint extracts, and beat just until blended.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture into the prepared baking dish, using a greased spatula to smooth the top of the candy.
- Sprinkle drops of red food coloring sporadically around the marshmallows. Use a toothpick to swirl the dots around to give it a marble effect.
- Allow the marshmallows to rest for 4 hours or overnight. Mix together cornstarch and confectioner's sugar in a shallow dish. Using oiled scissors or an oiled kitchen knife, cut the marshmallow candy into strips, then into 1 inch squares. Dredge the marshmallows lightly in the cornstarch mixture and store in an airtight container.
Place milk, cocoa powder, and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium/medium-low heat, whisking frequently, until warm (but not boiling). Add chocolate chips and whisk constantly until the chocolate chips melt and distribute evenly into the milk. Whisk in vanilla extract, serve immediately.
Top hot chocolate with marshmallows! Enjoy!