Comfort food at its finest and a fall favorite in our household! The squash shells become little bowls filled with sweet and savory apples, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and pork sausage.
- 3 Acorn Squash, halved
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 lb Ground Sausage
- 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Apples, diced
- 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup Parmasean Cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Using a sharp knife cut off each end of the acorn squash removing as little as possible, then cut in half.
- Scoop out seeds with a spoon.
- Drizzle with olive oil
- Sprinkle Salt and Pepper over Acorn Squash to taste.
- Bake for 40 minutes to an hour depending on size of your squash until tender and you can pierce with a fork, but still holding it's shape.
- While the squash is baking begin sautéing the sausage for about 5 minutes, drain and pat dry with a paper towel to remove as much grease as possible, but don't discard grease in the pan.
- Using the grease from the sausage add your onions to the pan and sauté for another 2-3 minutes until it starts to brown.
- Add apples and sauté for another 2 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in bread crumbs.
- Add ¾ cup parmesan cheese and stir until cheese begins to melt. Set aside.
- Once squash has finished baking and reached desired tenderness spoon in meat mixture until the squash is filled.
- Return to the oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes depending on size of squash.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining parmesan cheese. Serve and Enjoy!