The longer this one simmers, the more those flavors come together. This simple chili recipe is really good and considering it has chunks of tri-tip in it, definitely doesn’t hurt.
- 2-3 lbs. tri-tip
- 1 lb. bacon, chopped into 1/4" pieces
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 small jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 (28 oz.) can of chili beans, drained
- 2 (28 oz.) can of diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 (6 oz.) can of tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 bag corn chips
- 1/2 cup beer
- Coat tri-tip evenly with 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce. Set aside for at least 20-45 minutes to bring meat to room temperature.
- Preheat grill for high heat.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until it starts to crisp. Remove grease and return bacon back to the pot.
- Add onion, jalapenos, celery and bell peppers, cook for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent and tender.
- Add beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, beer, & the rest of the BBQ Sauce. Stir to combine.
- Cover and simmer.
- Meanwhile, place tri-tip on the grill directly above the flame for 5-10 minutes on each side to sear the meat.
- Move tri-tip to indirect heat and cook for an additional 20-30 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 130°F.
- Let tri-tip rest for 10 minutes before slicing into 1/2" cubes.
- Place cubed tri-tip into chili and simmer an additional 1 hour.
- Serve with your choice of toppings. Enjoy!