Our brown-sugar bacon laden macaroni and cheese came out so good, we wanted to make sure everyone would be able to enjoy it! So, we came up with this vegetarian chili alternative that oozes with flavor…and cheese!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 oz. diced green chiles
- 1 cup fire roasted corn
- 1 (28 oz.) can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can chili beans or black beans, drained
- 12 oz. box of elbow macaroni
- 3 cups of cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup of chopped green onion, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large cast iron skillet on medium heat.
- Once hot, add onion, bell pepper, carrot, 2 garlic cloves and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add chili powder, lime juice, green chiles, and corn. Stir to combine.
- Add crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, beans and vegetable broth. Stir to combine. Raise heat and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add macaroni and continue to boil, stirring occasionally until cooked through, about 9-12 minutes.
- Stir in 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. Stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add panko bread crumbs, the rest of the garlic, salt and stir until golden brown.
- Spread topping over macaroni and cheese.
- Broil on high in the oven for 3-5 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
- Garnish with green onions. Enjoy!